Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Spin Class Hurts My Arse!

I realized the last time I blogged was when I went to spin class, which seems like forever ago.  I have to say, I'm not getting much better with this blogging thing! 

So, spin class.....great concept, great workout, but not made for girls with larger than life booties!  Seriously!  The part I looked most forward to was the biking standing up, which most people liked the least, but it was the only time my booty wasn't hurting!  That seat causes serious distress in that area.  The verdict...spin class isn't for me...at least not until I can shrink the gluteus area a little bit. 

While on the topic of big booties, I contacted a personal trainer yesterday.  I've decided it's a necessity in order to keep my motivation up and my waistline down.  I weighed in at 199 yesterday morning.  I cried at 150!  My friend, Jennifer, and I are being each other's motivators.  We text message each other when we just did a good workout and also when we're tempted by devil's food.  So far, it's been a pretty good system, albeit only day two.  My trainer and I have a meeting on Thursday to fill out paperwork and on Friday I have my first session.  Normally I wouldn't be so excited about exercise, but after seeing the gluttonized image in the mirror that is me, I'm ecstatic to have someone hold me accountable.  I've not had good luck with fitness in the past (previous trainer owes me $1,000, group weight loss trainer failed to connect with me as promised on a personal level), so I'm hoping the third time is the charm.  My trainer is someone I dated very briefly several years ago, but in the short few months I dated him, he was very dedicated to his clients and I know he knows his stuff.  The fact that he knew what I used to look like at 120 pounds will probably be an even bigger motivator than working with a random stranger would be, as I'm embarrassed for him to see how I've let myself go. 

The past few weeks have been filled with Christmas-related tasks.  I finally got my Christmas tree up, after three days of mishap after mishap with it.  The base of it has already fallen down once, so I'm hoping it withdstands the month of December.  So far, so good.  I tried going for a more elegant look this year.  Here's a photo of it in daylight:




And now for the "oooohs" and aaaahs"........



Sadly, that's about the extent of my Christmas decor this year.  I didn't have the patience or energy to put out my huge village collection.  Nor have I even hung the swag of lights over my patio door or the lights on my patio outside, as I had intended.  It's not that I don't have the Christmas spirit this year; I think I'm just exhausted.  Anytime I find myself doing anything Christmas-related, for instance, putting up my tree, I end up doing another project that takes four hours, like cleaning out my spare bedroom.  On the bright side, I'm getting other things done. 

I've decided to host Christmas Eve dinner at my place this year.  Generally it's just us "singles" on Christmas Eve who get together.  This year my brother has a girlfriend so that may be one less for dinner, leaving just my mom, my sister, and myself.  I've used this as my excuse to do a bunch of baking.  I hadn't planned on doing any this year, as I would just complain later that it added fresh dimples to places that are not supposed to have dimples, but it kind of bummed me out not to, as I've gotten just about everything else done for Christmas.  I've still got to come up with the dinner menu, but I can say with confidence that there will not be a lack of desserts.  Sometimes my sister makes fun of me by calling me Martha Stewart; I'm starting to see it more and more each year. 

On Saturday I'm attending a modified version of an Ugly Christmas Sweater party.  Instead, it's called "Sweater to Remember".  I read the comments about last year's contest and apparently the winner was a woman with a skimpy skirt and a tight shirt.  Cliche.  I will definitely not be taking that route, but my sweater idea is pretty stellar, if I do say so myself.  I have to admit, while I came up with part of it myself, the other part I found on the Internet.  Photos to follow after the event; I wouldn't want my idea leaking out.  Yes, it's that stellar.  Approximately 200 people have been invited, each allowed to bring a guest.  Each person pitches in $2 to the pot, bar staff judges the best sweater, and winner takes all.  Pretty sweet contest, huh? 

While the weather has been getting colder and the nights darker, I've found myself having more time on my hands than usual.  So, I've decided on doing more pen-paling.  This time, I chose a soldier who is currently deployed in Afghanistan.  I've been advised that everyone in the program elects to be in the program, so there is a good chance I will hear back from my pal.  I hope so.  If I can bring any day brighteners to her, I would love to do so.  I cannot imagine being in Afghanistan for a year. 

Speaking of war, today is the 69th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  I would like to thank all soldiers, past and present, who have served our country.  All give some, some give all.  Without these brave men and women, who knows what our world would be like today. 

While on the topic of war, I'm really becoming concerned about the situation in North and South Korea.  Is anybody else with me?  Most of the people I've discussed my feelings with say, "That's why I just try not to think about it."  What kind of response is that?  I understand not living in fear, but this is reality.  North Korea potentially has the power to launch missiles that could hit the west coast of the United States.  If things continue to go awry with South Korea, I'm pretty confident the United States will be there to back the South Koreans, which could spell disaster for our own nation.  I'm not sure that North Korea is the country that I want to piss off.  Anyway, I guess I'll just be like everybody else and "try not to think about it right now". 

On a more positive note, it's my nephew, Nate's, fifth birthday today.  He's probably been ecstatic all day long; it seems that he's been waiting for this day for months.  The poor little guy's birthday falls last in the family line, and being five, he really has no concept of time.  But, today's his day.  Unfortunately, I'll probably miss half of the party, due to a work event that really doesn't even involve me, except for that I put the whole thing together.  *Sigh*

Well, work break is over, time to get back to the grind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment