Monday, March 7, 2011

Money Pit

It's been quite some time since I've extended a shout out to cyberspace!  I guess that means life has been happening, right?  In all honesty, I kind of forgot about this whole blogging deal.  I don't figure my life is all that enthralling that anybody rushes to read about it, but according to my stats, strangers in other countries must be extremely bored.  For them, I will try to continue to aim to please.  :) 

"Eat Pray Love", by the way, was not worth the dollar I spent at the Red Box, but that's just my personal opinion. 

My life, as I know it, has been one gigantic money pit lately!  I finally got caught up from paying for a vacation, Christmas, and my personal trainer, and then got slapped with a broken Jeep, two new appliances, a twice broken feline, and this weekend a broken laptop.  Anybody who knows me well knows that my computer is my life.  My brother smartassedly (today we're calling that a word) asked me yesterday if my computer died from overuse; in all reality, I believe this is what actually happened!  The good news?  The only thing left in my condo that is not new is my washer / dryer, so hopefully that means nothing else will break for a while!

I'm ready for winter to be over any day now.  We seriously get a snow storm about every other week, and not just a few inches, I'm talking anywhere from six inches to over a foot.  The meteorologists are saying depending on March's snow accumulation, we could break a record for the most snow in Minnesota history.  Why can't we break a record for record highs?!  I'm very much looking forward to daylight saving's time kicking in next week.  I've been itching to get outside and take a walk and ride my bike.  And yes, this fat girl just referenced her bike! 

Speaking of which, I get an F- for diet and exercise.  My body seemed to reject the diet my trainer had me on.  I'll spare you the dirty details, but per the Internet (a highly reliable source, by the way *sarcasm* ), my body was suffering from malabsorption, which I'm guessing is because of the fat in all of the nuts I was eating.  I felt miserable for about two weeks so I quit the diet and started feeling normal again.  I keep bitching that I'm fat and hate the way my body looks, but I haven't really done anything to expect any different results.  Swimsuit season is approaching, though, and I have to start going to the gym again.  I've got a treadmill at home, but my spare room that I have it in was so dreary and full of junk that I never liked being in there.  I just painted it a couple of weeks ago and I have to admit that I now love it!  It's a baby blue color, which for a minute made me wish I was making it up for a baby (any takers?!), and it's really relaxing.  I've displayed some of my photographs and souvenirs I've gotten while on vacations and it's really coming together nicely.  I'm hoping that this weekend I will have all of my files organized and the small amount of junk that remains removed.  Then I've decided to FINALLY pony up the bucks for cable and buy a TV for the room in desperate hopes of actually sticking to the exercise bit.  I want to be the next "Former Fat Girl"....we'll see! 

I spent the greater part of the weekend with family.  My mom and I hung out Saturday afternoon and evening.  We grabbed some dinner and rented a movie called "Letters to God", which involves pretty much no-name writers and actors, but a real tear jerker.  It's about an eight-year old boy who has leukemia and writes letters to God each day, asking for things or answers to questions, such as: happiness for his mother, what Heaven will be like, what his father is doing, etc.  Unbeknownst to most, the mailman, whose own life is nearing a trainwreck (alcoholism, losing his son, etc.), intercepts those letters, which end up altering his life in a way he'd never imagined.  This true story really hit home with me, as I can relate to how a terminal illness can change one's perspective on life entirely.  A good flick, I recommend. 

Sunday I went laptop shopping and popped over to my mom's to see her and my sister.  I caught the series premiere of "Secret Millionaire" (another tearjerker!) and the season premiere of "Army Wives", which was not so great this year.  I got hooked on that show last fall and watched the first four seasons in the course of a month, but I think they're now hitting a lull and running out of storylines. 

Oooh, also on Saturday I chatted for a few hours with "my soldier".  (I never heard back from the two I was assigned that were in Afghanistan.)  The organization doesn't allow those who "adopt" soldiers to disclose the soldier's identity, so I'll just call him "Jack".  Jack and I have been paired up as pen-pals for about three months now.  I've been fortunate to receive one letter and one card from him and I have to say, I think this experience has been far more rewarding for me than it has for him.  I can't imagine living the life of a soldier, deployed somewhere halfway across the world, leaving behind loved ones, home, and life as you knew it.  For weeks we've been hearing about what CBS has been doing to Tigerblood, yet we hear very little about what our real American heroes are doing for our freedom.  Having a complete stranger open up to me and tell me that my letters and cards "bring light to the life of a lonely soldier" touched my heart in ways that few other things in life have.  I truly look forward to getting to know Jack better and hope that I can somehow positively impact his life during his deployment.

As Warner Brothers has said to Charlie Sheen, that's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment