Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sum, Sum, Summertime!

Apparently my dwindling posts have now turned into a seasonal happening.  I can't believe it's summer next week already!  For those of you who live out of state, it's felt like winter in Minnesota since October.  Last week it reached 103 degrees and then a few days later it was only in the 60's.  We've had teases of nice days here and there, but for the most part, it didn't feel like we even had a spring. 

I've been managing to keep myself quite busy lately, though.  A couple of weekends ago it was nice enough to be able to sneak in a boat ride, which was very fun, but my skin paid for it later.  I'm still peeling!  That's really the only summer activity that I've done so far this season.  Some friends and I have talked about going tubing down the river this upcoming Friday, but guess what?  It's supposed to rain.  There's a shock! 

For the past month or so I have been focusing most of my free time on finding a new job.  I'm looking to move into a position that focuses more on Human Resources, which along with Marketing, was my major, than my current job does.  The economy is still in a terrible place, but I have had a couple of interviews and have a few more on the books.  I'm hoping something pans out soon. 

I've met quite a few new people over the past couple months through friends.  I've now become a fairly regular member of Tuesday night happy hour with a new group of people, which gives me something to look forward to during the week.  I usually opt to stay home during the week because I work such late hours, but it's kind of nice to break up the week a bit.  One person I do miss, though, is my nephew.  He's becoming quite the independent little guy and I haven't seen him much lately.  He will start kindgergarten in the fall and while I can't wait to hear some of the stories I know are forthcoming, it makes me a little sad that he's growing up so quickly.  Somebody in my family needs to create some offspring! 

Another happy situation is having the opportunity to know Jack.  I've truly never met anyone who has had such an impact on my life.  He has to be one of the strongest people I have ever met.  It sounds like he had a pretty tough upbringing, yet he is hands down the sweetest, most caring man I have ever "met" in my life.  They don't make men like him anymore.  Knowing him is very humbling, and truly makes me appreciate all that I have in life.  I think about him and his work and how difficult, and even dark, his days must be at times, and then I'm reminded of all of the blessings in my life.  Knowing that he and thousands of other soldiers are out there fighting so that you and I can live in peace and enjoy our freedoms is truly one of the greatest gifts I've been given.  Before Jack, I'm embarrassed to say that I sort of took our servicemen and women for granted.  Of course I'd think of our troops from time to time, but Jack and his fellow soldiers and their families are always on my mind now.  I've been blessed to have gotten a few letters from Jack, and we exhcange e-mails on a fairly regular basis.  I never would have thought a complete stranger could have that much impact on my life. 

While thinking of all of the good that Jack does, I decided I wanted to do my part to "pay it forward" to society.  I recently signed up to volunteer at the American Cancer Society, transporting chemotherapy and radiology patients without transportation to and from their appointments.  I've also sponsored a child from Mexico in hopes of bringing a little light to his life.  These are just small things, but I'm hoping to become more involved in the community over time.  I work with a lot of volunteers at my job and they all inspire me to want to give back.  Hopefully some day I will be able to touch somebody's life like Jack has touched mine. 

I will find out next week if I will become the inheriter of another feline.  My mom recently got a kitten, but my brother is worried that he may be allergic to him.  Jax is a black and white domestic short hair and he's an energetic little dude.  I'm not sure how Nikolas, my cat, will react to another furry creature moving in on his territory, but I'm hoping that my mom gets to keep him.  I think she's already attached; whenever I go over to her place she's always sitting on the couch with him practically wrapped up so close to her that it looks like she's wearing a mink around her neck.  (Jax sleeps in some pretty odd positions.)

All in all, life has been pretty good to me lately.  Nothing particularly exciting has been going on, but I have no complaints either. 

That's all for now; I hope everyone is enjoying these last days of spring!

1 comment:

  1. Brendaaaaaaaaaa!!! Your baaaaack!!!! :-))) It's so good to hear about your life and to know what you have been up to.

    I know I've said it several times now, but I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for you - I hope you find that job you are looking for soon!

    I'm sorry about your friend. I hope she gets better, too. She seems to know she has your support if she should need it. I think that's a great thing (to know there is someone around who cares). Not everyone has that!

    Speaking about caring: When will you start your volunteer work? I think it's wonderful that you chose to help cancer patients.
    What is the child you are sponsering in Mexico called? Do they tell you anything about his or her life?

    Have a great day and keep us readers updated!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete